Article from the Leadernews:

WANTIRNA South will get the chance to avenge its ­Division 3 grand final loss of last year after winning a thrilling second semi-final against Mitcham on Sunday.

In a game worthy of grand final status, the two sides traded blows all afternoon at East Burwood Reserve.

There was less than a kick in it when Andrew Goland strolled through a pack and slotted home the winning goal with 28 minutes on the clock.

The Devils held on to win by 10 points, 16.11 (107) to 13.19 (97).

Wantirna South had the first win of the day at the coin toss, choosing to kick with a stiff breeze in the first term. After meeting some early resistance, the Devils made the most of it, slamming through five unanswered goals.

It was a versatile Wantirna South forward line doing the job, with all five goals coming from open play.

Steve Pimm got the Tigers on the board with a steadying goal, and David Searl snuck one in before the quarter-time siren to keep the Tigers in the hunt.

They trailed by 17 points at the first change.

Mitcham made a fast start with two goals early in the second term, but the Devils held them in check.

Brent Walker and Ryan Baker answered for Wantirna South before Daniel Beddome converted a strong grab to give his side a 22-point buffer. Pimm again had to halt the Devils’ run, and a goal to Anthony Faulkner had the Tigers within two kicks; the margin was 14 points at half time.

The Devils built on their advantage through old-­fashioned methods.

They were disciplined, they hit their targets and converted their chances.

And they kept at it in the third term, kicking two quick goals and threatening to run away with it.

Mitcham applied the brakes, but the Devils still led by four goals.

As he had twice before, Pimm stopped the Devils’ run with a goal, but the ­Tigers wasted a number of other good opportunities.

The margin was three goals at the three-quarter time siren and the game was on the line.

Mitcham made an early run to erase the deficit and took a lead midway through the final term.

The Tigers should have known it wasn’t their day when Pimm’s late effort to give them the lead hit the top of the point post.

The winners booked a week off and a spot in the grand final, while Mitcham will face Templestowe in the preliminary final this Sunday at East Burwood Reserve.

Leggate vs Mitcham